I am a passionate educator and hold a PhD in Science and Technology education. I was a master teacher in secondary education and senior lecturer at Vista University, Welkom campus. After completion of my PhD, I decided to focus on research.
My research experience includes post doctoral fellow (NWU & Unisa) and independent researcher (Unisa & in own service). My research concerns how technology can be used to improve teaching and learning. I serve on the editorial board of the AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, an international journal regarding the use of eportfolios in education (see experience). I was the managing editor of the first issue of the second volume, a wonderful learning school.
I am currently busy developing an app to support the continuing professional development of teachers.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- PhD (thesis), University of Johannesburg): Sosiale Netwerk Analise as metode om die deurlopende professionele ontwikkeling van die wiskundeonderwysers van ‘n sekondêre skool te bevorder. Promotor: Professor Duan van der Westhuizen.
- M.Ed (thesis), UNISA (1994). Die selfkonsep van die begaafde seun wat in die junior sekondêre skoolfase onderpresteer. Promotor: Professor JA Kapp
- B.Ed (Begaafdekindonderwys UNISA (1991). Gifted Child education modules as well as Orthopedagogics and Educational statistics
- BA(Ed) at University of Pretoria (1979-1982): Afrikaans 3, Geography 3, and Education 3 as manin subjects, English 1B, Zulu 1, Afrikaanse & Nederlandse cultural history 1, and Language endorsement AE
- Psychology 1-3 (UNISA) 1993-1994
- Matriculated at Hoërskool Ermelo (1978): Geography, Biology, Afrikaans, English, German, History
- EDTP-SETA, assessor EDTP1050
- Recognition of prior learning (RPL- assessment)
CERTIFICATES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- International Computer Driving Licence (ZA169968)
- South African Council for Educators
- International Golden Key Society
- International Network for Social Network Analysis
- Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Natuurwetenskap en Kuns
- Van Staden, C.J. 2018. WhatsApp: Die ontwikkeling van ‘n positief-interafhanklike e-praktyknetwerk tydens die samestelling van e-portefeuljes in afstandhoëronderwys. LitNet Akademies, 15(2):350-96 (Opvoedkunde)
- Van Staden, C.J. 2017. Aanlynleeromgewings: ‘n Sleutel tot die deurlopende professionele ontwikkeling van onderwysers, LitNet Akademies, 14(3):770-821
- Van Staden, C.J. 2017. Guidelines for integrating eportfolios in distance education, 1(3), bll. 2–24.
- Van Staden, CJ. 2016. ‘n Leergeoriënteerde raamwerk vir eportefeuljeontwikkeling in afstandonderwys. Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Natuurwetenskap en Tegnologie, 35(1), a1392, in druk.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. A learning-oriented framework for integrating eportfolios in a post-graduate module in distance education. The AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, 1(1), pp 36-55.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Ontleding van sosiogramme as manier om die doeltreffendheid van genetwerkte leer in ‘n skoolgebaseerde wiskundegroep te ondersoek. LitNet 13(3).
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Social Network Analysis as method to assess collaboration. Uitgenooi om hierdie Viewpoint te stuur vir publikasie op die webwerf van die National Institute for Learning Outcomes assessment, gepubliseer op 17 Mei 2016.
- Van Staden, C.J. & Mentz, E. 2014. Strategiee om die Suid-Afrikaanse professionele leergemeenskapmodel vaartbelyn te implementeer, Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Natuurwetenskap en Tegnologie, 33(1), 8 bladsye.
- Van Staden C.J. & Van der Westhuizen, D. 2013. Learn 2.0 technologies and the continuing professional development of secondary school mathematics teachers. Journal for New Generation Sciences. 11(2), pp. 241-257.
- Van Staden, C.J. & Freeman, H. 1994. Die verhouding tussen Onderwys en werk. Vital 9(1), 23-32. ISSN 1019-9888.
Published conference papers
- Van der Westhuizen, D. & Van Staden, C.J. 2012. The use of Social Network Analysis to enable effective professional development for Teachers. In T. Bastiaens & M. Ebner (Eds). Proceedings of the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications. Chesapeake, VA: AACE
PAPERS AT CONFERENCES
- Van Staden, CJ. 2015. Using networking interfaces to augment open and distance education. Future Managers: 4th International North South TVET ICT Conference, 15-17 September 2015, Lord Charles Hotel, Somerset West, Cape Town
- Van Staden, C.J. 2014. Using Social Network Analysis to nurture cooperative learning. Paper presented at the Sunbelt XXXIV conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis, St Petes beach, Florida, America, February 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. Social Network Analysis: A new method to monitor the continuing professional development of teachers. Presented at the Sunbelt XXXIII conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis, presented on 25th of May 2013 at the University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
- Van der Westhuizen, D. en Van Staden, CJ. 2012, The use of Social Network Analysis to enable the professional development of teachers. Virtual paper presented at the AACE-conference, Denver, America
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Using Learn 2.0 technologies for professional development – a Social Network Analysis perspective on learning, presented at the South African Technology Network (SATN) conference in Windhoek, Namibia, August 2012.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2018. Arend: ‘n e-Praktyknetwerk vir Afrikaanssprekende onderwysers. Simposium van die Suid-Afrikaanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns, 20 September, STIAS-sentrum, Universiteit van Stellenbosch.
- Van Staden, C.J. en Snyman, V. 2017. How to integrate eportfolios to improve student success. 4th annual Innovations in Teaching and Learning Technologies Conference. Global Links Corporate Training. 23rd of March at the CSIR’s International Convention Centre, Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Supporting the needs of open distance higher education students during the implementation of e-portfolios. Siyaphumelela Conference, 30th of June 2016, Durban.
- Van Staden, CJ. 2015. Using ICT to increase educational intimacy through acceptability and engagement. Teaching and Learning Conference of KBTS International. 17th & 18th August 2015, at Protea Hotel, Sandton
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using an informal social networking site to support learning at an open and distance institute. Invited to present at the Social Media in Higher Education Conference held on 12th-13th of May 2015 at the Amabhubesi Conferencing Centre.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using Social Network Analysis to monitor self-directed and cooperative learning in an open and distance institute. Invited to present at the Outcomes, Assessment and Evaluation Conference held on 24th-25th March at Emperors Palace.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using social networking sites to manage self-directed and cooperative learning in an open and distance institute for higher education. Invited to present at the 2nd Annual Innovations in Teaching & learning Conference held at the International Convention Centre in Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. How to interpret sociograms to manage knowledge in social networking sites. Invited to present at the 2nd Annual Innovations in Teaching & learning Conference held at the International Convention Centre in Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2014. Nurturing lifelong online learning. Presented at the 7th E-learning Update Conference at Emperors Place on 22nd of July 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. Using social networking sites to establish sustainable professional learning communities. Post-doctoral seminar held at Unisa on 17 September 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. Sosiale Netwerk Analise as metode om die deurlopende professionele ontwikkeling van onderwysers te moniteer. Presented at the Academic Discourse of Northwest University on 21st of June 2013.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Using Learn 2.0 technologies for continuing professional development of teachers. Invited to present at workshop for facilitators of the Gauteng West educational district.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. How can arend.co be used to provide online training in the use of technology in the classroom? Invited to presented on 13th of March 2013 at the workshop of Curriculum Services, Gauteng South
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Die gebruik van Leer 2.0 tegnologie om ‘n professionele leergemeenskap te vorm.Invited to present on 5th of September 2012 at the Lenteseminaar van die Universiteit van Pretoria.
EDITORIAL BOAR EXPERIENCE
I was from 15 Mei 2017 till January 2018 the managing editor of the AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, the intern journal of the American Association for Authentic, Experiential and Evidence-based learning.
I was author, editor and member of the editorial team of the first issue (AePR 1(1)) and review editor of one of the papers and member of the editorial team of the second issue (AePR 1(2)). I was also author and member of the editorial team of the third issue (AePR 1(3)) and managing editor of the fourth issue AePR 2(1).
Blind peer evaluation
- NRF, several researchers and research projects
- Teacher and Teacher Education – international journal, various papers
Research related work
- M.ED and PhD
- Post doctoral fellow North West University (2013-2014)
- Post doctoral fellow Unisa (2014-2015)
- Independent researcher Unisa (Nov/Des 2015 and March 2016 to March 2017)
- Independent researcher in own service since March 2017.
- 2017- Owner Arensig Akademie
- 2014-2015: taught INTMAEU at Unisa
- 1991-1996: Senior lecturer at Vista University, Welkom campus (Now part of CUT), responsible for Statistics for B.Ed’s, Education 1-3, Subject Didactics Geography and Afrikaans and practical education
- 1991-1996: National coordinator subject didactics Geography
- 1991-1996: Organisor Saturday classes for teachers
Department of Basic Education
- 1984-1986, 1989-1991: Free State Department of Education, Afrikaans EAT (Grades 8-11), immigrant Afrikaans, Afrikaans Home Language (Gr 8-11)
- 1996-2008: Gauteng and Free State Departments of Education, Afrikaans (Gr 10-12), Geography (gr 1- & 11), Social Sciences (G r8-9), Computer Science (Gr 10), Coördineerde Goldfields schools (Gr 9).
I have completed the following online courses:
- Excel dashboards in an hour
- How to create your Udemy course